Glow Sticks: How Long Do They Last?
Have you ever wondered how long a regular glow stick would last once activated? Or how long a large, industrial glow stick might operate? What about the lifespan of a glow stick necklace or a bracelet?
Unfortunately, most glow sticks only last a few hours before they start to dim. The amount of light emitted from a glow stick declines rapidly, within minutes, and by the time you reach the 2-8 hour mark, the glow will be significantly decreased.
Size matters too. Small glow sticks worn around the necks in costume necklaces, or worn as bracelets on an arm, will usually have a maximum glow life of 10-12 hours. Similarly, larger, industrial grade glow sticks, such as the roadside flares, or emergency beacon sticks used by the military, will last as much as 12-24 hours.
Of course, when it comes to glow sticks, keeping them to a shorter lifespan than their maximum potential is a reality. That means that several factors can cause your glow stick to burn out early, including:
- Light exposure: Too much direct sunlight (or UV light) will cause a glow stick to lose its brightness quicker.
- Temperature: Extreme temperatures of either hot or cold can reduce the life of a glow stick.
- Aging: Older glow sticks, or those that have been stored in low-quality packages, might not last as long.
Tips to Maximize The Glow Life Of Your Glow Sticks
If you want to get the most out of your glow sticks, there are a few tips and tricks you can follow:
- Store glow sticks in a cool area, out of direct sunlight.
- Keep glow sticks in their original packaging and tightly sealed to prevent any air from seeping in.
- Only break the packaging when you’re ready to use the glow sticks.
Glow sticks have traditionally been used for entertainment and fashion purposes, but they’re also very practical for nighttime safety, especially during outdoor activities. It’s important to be aware of how long your glow stick will last so you can plan accordingly.
For a fun and safe night outdoors, be sure to pick up a few glow sticks before your next outing. For the best results, take the tips outlined above into consideration for a longer and brighter glow life.