Bleach as a Useful Tool: How to Make Bleach at Home
Bleach is made from chlorine, sodium hydroxide, and water. It is a powerful cleaning and disinfecting agent with numerous uses and benefits. But, what if you need bleach quickly, and your local store is closed? Making your own bleach, from commonly-available ingredients at home, is not only possible, but easy to do.
Things You’ll Need
- 1 gallon of chlorine beach
- 1 gallon of distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of pure lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 gallon of water
Steps to Make the Bleach
- Start by pouring the gallon of chlorine bleach into a plastic bucket or container.
- Next, pour the gallon of distilled white vinegar and the teaspoon of pure lemon juice into the same container.
- Stir thoroughly, until the vinegar and lemon juice are completely blended with the bleach.
- Add the teaspoon of baking soda and the five tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide.
- Stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Add the gallon of water and stir until everything is blended.
- Your homemade bleach is ready for use.
Storage and Use
For best results, store your homemade bleach in a cool, dry place. It can be used just like any store-bought bleach. Be sure to use it in a well-ventilated area, wear long sleeves, and gloves to protect exposed skin, and always follow the safety advice on both store-bought and homemade bleach labels.
Making your own bleach is a safe, easy, and affordable way to have a powerful cleaning and disinfecting tool at your fingertips. With a few ingredients, you can quickly whip up a batch of your own homemade bleach that is just as effective as its store-bought counterpart.