Best Serrated Knife as a Survival Tool Review and Buying Guide
From wilderness adventures to everyday use in the kitchen, having the right tool for the job is essential. When it comes to surviving in the wild, the right tool can literally be life-saving. A serrated knife is an essential element for any survival kit and a valuable tool for any outdoor enthusiast.
So, what are the best serrated knives for survival? We’ve compiled a comprehensive buyer’s guide with our top recommendations for the best serrated knives for survival. We’ll also review features to look for when choosing a serrated knife for survival as well as popular brands and tips for maintenance and care. Let’s get started!
Types of Serrated Knives
The first step to selecting the best serrated knife for any application is to understand the different types of serrated knives on the market.
* Tanto: A Tanto-style serrated knife stands out for its distinct angular shape, which was originally designed for martial arts. It’s a popular choice for tactical and survival applications.
* Peanut: Peanut-style serrated knives are a great all-arounder for general tasks. They offer more surface area than most other styles, making them great for sawing through hard materials.
* Clip Point: Clip point serrated knives look and perform remarkably similar to classic drop-point knives, but with a serrated edge that provides extra stability and sawing power.
* Sheep’s Foot: Sheep’s foot serrated knives offer unique safety features, such as a blunt tip. They are great for emergency responders and outdoor adventurers, as well as everyday use in the kitchen.
* Spear Point: Spear point serrated knives are designed to provide a balanced balance between strength and stability. They are a great all-arounder for most outdoor tasks.
Features to Look for in a Quality Knife
Clearly, there is no one-size-fits-all serrated knife. It’s important to consider the aspects that will truly make a survival knife a great choice for the job. Here are few features to look for when assessing a serrated knife for survival:
* Sharpness: Look for blades that hold their edge and can be sharpened quickly. A dull blade can be more dangerous than none at all.
* Durability: A serrated knife must be able to withstand the wear and tear of the wild. Look for blades made of strong materials such as stainless steel or titanium.
* Ergonomics: You need a knife that fits comfortably in your hand and can be handled easily. Ergonomic features such as a grip or handle should be considered to make sure the knife is comfortable and secure.
* Concealability: Look for knives that can easily fit into pockets or other small spaces. This will make them more portable and readily available when needed.
* Maintenance: Make sure you can easily maintain your knife. Consider knives that can be easily sharpened or can be protected with a sheath or case.
Popular Serrated Knife Brands
When looking for a quality survival knife, there are countless brands on the market. Here are few of the most popular brands:
* Spyderco: Spyderco is a well-known worldwide brand that offers a range of sharp and reliable blades for many different applications.
* Gerber: Gerber is a trusted American manufacturer of quality blades and tools. Their blades are designed with the highest standards of durability and performance in mind.
* Buck: Buck has been producing quality blades for over a century. They offer a range of blades, ranging from pocket knives to utility knives, for any task.
* Ka-Bar: Ka-Bar produces a range of military-grade knives and tools for the outdoors. Their blades are designed to handle the toughest environments.
Tips for Knife Care and Maintenance
* Always store serrated knives in a dry place. Excessive moisture can cause rusting or corrosion.
* Sharpen your serrated knife regularly to ensure it’s always in peak condition. Use a sharpening stone or follow manufacturer instructions when sharpening.
* Clean the blade after each use and make sure that all debris is removed. This will help prevent corrosion and extend the life of the blade.
* Always use caution when handling knives, especially those with a serrated edge. Make sure you keep the blade away from your skin.
Our Top Pick for Survival Knives
We’ve reviewed different types of serrated blades and the features that make them great for survival. Now, let’s take a look at our top pick for a quality survival knife:
The Ka-Bar Serrated Edge Full Size USMC Knife is a military-grade backup knife that features a 7-inch stainless-steel, serrated edge blade. It features ergonomic handles for secure grip and a 20-degree angle on the blade for extra strength. The blade is full-tang and offers a lifetime warranty. It also comes with a sturdy sheath for secure storage.
When choosing the best serrated knife for any job, there are a few features to consider for a quality knife. Different types of knives, such as Tanto, Peanut, Clip Point, Sheep’s Foot, and Spear Point, offer different features that are great for specific tasks. In terms of brands, Spyderco, Gerber, Buck, and Ka-Bar are trusted names for quality survival knives. It’s important to perform regular maintenance, such as sharpening and cleaning, for maximum longevity.
The Ka-Bar Serrated Edge Full Size USMC Knife is our top pick for a survival knife that offers superior strength, ergonomics, durability, and portability. Keep all the above tips and features in mind when purchasing a serrated knife as a survival tool and you’ll surely make the right choice!