How to Make Homemade Bread Crumbs
Making your own bread crumbs at home is an easy and cost-effective way to add a delicious crunch to your favorite recipes. Here is a simple step-by-step guide for how to make your own homemade bread crumbs.
- 6 slices of fresh bread (white or whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter or olive oil (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Cut each slice of bread into small cubes and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the bread is lightly toasted. The cubes may still be slightly soft in the middle.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the toasted bread cubes in short bursts until they are broken down into coarse crumbs. Alternatively, you can use a cheese grater.
- Toss the bread crumbs with a tablespoon of melted butter or olive oil (optional), for a crispy and flavorful finish.
- Store the bread crumbs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Your homemade bread crumbs are now ready to use in a variety of dishes, from casseroles to pasta salads. Enjoy!
If bread crumbs won’t be used right away, slice the bread and let it sit out overnight to dry out before making the crumbs. This will make a crisper, fluffier crumb that won’t get soggy when cooked.