DIY Washing Machine
If you’re looking for a less expensive and greener way to do laundry, making your own washing machine might be your best bet. Instead of using conventional washing machines that require a lot of electricity and water, you can make one with a few simple materials. Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to make your own DIY washing machine.
Supplies You Will Need
- 3-5 Gallon bucket
- 1” drill bit
- Rubber grommets
- Aquarium air pump
- 1/4” air tube
- Basket/compartment to hold clothes
- Find a 3-5 gallon bucket – a sealed, high-density plastic bucket is best. Ensure the lid fits securely.
- Drill a 1” hole near the top of the bucket.
- Insert a grommet into the hole and secure with a screwdriver.
- Attach the aquarium air pump using the 1/4” air tube, passing it through the grommet.
- Put the basket/compartment for the clothes into the bucket.
- Fill the bucket with 5 gallons of water and a tablespoon of soap.
- Turn the air pump on and use it to agitate the water for about 5 minutes.
- Let the clothes soak for 20 minutes or longer depending on the desired level of cleaning.
- Turn the air pump off and allow the water to settle.
- Drain the water and remove the clothes.
- Rinse and dry your clothes as you normally would.
Now that you have all the instructions, you are ready to make your own DIY washing machine! With this laundry solution, you can save money, conserve water, and help the environment at the same time. So, go ahead and give this project a try and get cleaning!