DIY Perimeter Alarm To Protect Your Home & Camp
Protecting your home or camp from intruders doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. You can build a simple and effective perimeter alarm that helps secure your property and keep you informed. With some basic tools, some wire, and an alarm (available on any electronics store), you can build a robust and reliable perimeter alarm that does the job!
What You Need
- Armored alarm bell box
- Alarm system circuit board
- Power drill
- Wire cutters
- Electrical wiring
Step by Step Instructions
- Operate the power drill to make small holes in the outside walls of your home or camp, outside the base of the perimeter. Make sure to place the holes in strategic positions, ensuring optimal coverage of the perimeter.
- Cut the electrical wiring into short segments of about 2ft. Feed each segment of wiring through the holes created in Step 1.
- Connect the alarm system circuit board to the pieces of wiring. Connect the non-red wires to the ground (black connection) and the red wires to the power supply port.
- Attach the armored bell box with screws to the outside of your camp or home. Connect the wires from the alarm system to the box, keeping the positive and negative sides of the wires connected correctly.
- Make sure to connect the wired alarm to the power outlet/supply. Ensure the connections throughout are secure and covers against moisture.
- Test the alarm system and ensure it’s working by triggering it.
And that’s it, your DIY perimeter alarm is done and ready to protect your home or camp. Make sure to maintain your alarm system, checking for cracks or exposed wiring, and contact a professional if you notice any sign of an issue.