DIY Perimeter Alarm To Protect Your Home & Camp
It’s no secret that whether you’re at home or away on a camping trip, you want to make sure your family and possessions are secure and safe. A perimeter alarm is an ideal way to do this, as it will alert you to any potential intruders before they make it onto your property. The great news is that making your own perimeter alarm is a relatively easy and cost-effective way to protect your home and camp site from uninvited visitors.
What is a Perimeter Alarm?
A perimeter alarm is a security device that is used to detect and alert an individual of an intruder on their property. It usually consists of an infrared sensor that is placed around the perimeter of the area to be protected, which will detect when an intruder crosses the property line. Most perimeter alarms are provided with a siren alarm that will emit a loud noise to alert the owners or other people in the area that an intruder has been detected.
How to Make Your Own DIY Perimeter Alarm
Making your own DIY perimeter alarm is surprisingly easy and can be done with a few supplies that can be obtained from most hardware stores.
- Infrared Sensor
- (aka Passive Infrared / PIR)
- Alarm Siren
- Enclosure for Housing Sensor
- Battery Pack or Plug-in Adapter
- Weatherproof Tape or Foam
- Outdoor Rated Wire and Connectors
- Mount the infrared sensor to a outside wall or a post that sits at your property line.
- Attach the alarm siren to the side of the infrared sensor using weatherproof tape or foam.
- Connect the siren to the battery pack or plug-in adapter.
- Connect the infrared sensor to the battery pack or plug-in adapter.
- Run a length of outdoor-rated wire and connectors from the siren and sensor to the wall or post.
- Turn the power on for the battery pack or plug-in adapter.
- Test your DIY Perimeter Alarm and adjust its sensitivity if needed.
And that’s it! Your DIY Perimeter Alarm is now ready to keep your home and camp site safe from unwanted intruders.
Keeping Your Family Safe
Having a perimeter alarm in place is a great way to keep your family safe. It’s an effective deterrent to potential intruders and will alert you if any uninvited visitors try to make it onto your property. With a DIY Perimeter Alarm, you can rest easy knowing that you and your family can enjoy your home and camping trips without worry.