DIY Perimeter Alarm To Protect Your Home & Camp
Fending off burglars and wild animals is not an easy task. Whether you’re at home or in a camp, it is essential to secure the premises for your safety. Having a perimeter alarm system gives you an added layer of protection for any intruders and animals. But there is no need to break the bank to protect your family and property.
You can build a DIY perimeter alarm system that doesn’t cost much but offers just the right amount of protection necessary. Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you build your own security system with relative ease.
Step 1: Choose the Equipment
The first step is to decide which equipment you need to build the perimeter alarm system. You’ll need a siren for warning, a receiver for the alarm signal, wiring, and motion sensors.
- Siren: You can pick from a variety of sirens depending on your requirements. You can choose a simple electric siren or get a complex one with strobe lights or flashing lights.
- Receiver: The receiver is the device which receives the signal from the sensors when the alarm is triggered. It usually comes in the form of a radio receiver.
- Wiring: You will need wiring to connect the sensors to the receiver. You can get these from any hardware store.
- Motion Sensors: Motion sensors, also called PIR (Passive Infrared) sensors, are the devices which detect any intruders. You can buy them from online stores.
Step 2: Install the Equipment
Once you have all the necessary components, the next step is to install them.
- Siren: Install the siren in an easily visible spot where it can be heard from a distance.
- Receiver: The receiver should be installed in a secure and easily accessible location.
- Wiring: Connect the wiring from the sensors to the receiver. Make sure to check that all the connections are tight and secure.
- Motion Sensors: Install the motion sensors around the perimeter of the area you want to secure.
Step 3: Setup and Test the System
The final step is to set up and test the system to ensure that it is functioning properly.
- Setup: Set the sensors to the desired sensitivity level and connect the receiver to the power supply.
- Test: Test the system to make sure that it is functioning correctly. Give each sensor a few test triggers and check the receiver for signals.
Once you have completed all the steps, your DIY perimeter alarm system is ready. With this system in place, you can rest assured knowing that your home or camp is secure from any intruders or animals.