DIY Perimeter Alarm To Protect Your Home & Camp
Having a perimeter alarm is essential for both your home and camp. You can easily construct an effective DIY perimeter alarm with some tools and materials.
Materials You Will Need:
- Bolt cutters
- Reed switches
- Alarm buzzer with 9V battery
- Wire strippers & cutters
- Small putty knife
- Use the bolt cutters to cut a length of sturdy steel chain or wire. Make sure it is at least 30 inches in length so it can span the full width of the entrance to your home or camp.
- Inside the chain or wire, insert a reed switch. These are tiny magnetic switches used to detect the presence of a magnet.
- Connect the reed switch to the alarm buzzer. You can do this either by stripping and connecting two wires, or by using a soldering iron to join the components.
- Insert the 9V battery into the buzzer. This will provide power to the buzzer and allow it to sound an alarm if the magnet is moved away from the reed switch.
- Attach the magnet to a small putty knife and place it at the center of the chain or wire. This will ensure that the magnet is always in contact with the reed switch
- Finally, use the screwdriver to attach the chain or wire to the entryway of your home or camp. This will prevent the magnet from being removed and will ensure that the alarm sounds if the chain is broken.
Once you have completed the above steps, you will have a fully functioning DIY perimeter alarm which will alert you if anyone attempts to break into your home or camp.
Using a DIY alarm is a great way to protect your home and camp from intruders without spending a fortune on professional security systems. If you have any questions or need additional materials, be sure to consult an experienced professional.