DIY Perimeter Alarm To Protect Your Home & Camp
Whether you’re at home or camping, it’s important to have a secure perimeter alarm to protect your property. Home security systems can be expensive and complicated to install. But with a few household items, you can make your own DIY perimeter security alarm that will set off an alert if anyone attempts to trespass onto your property. Follow these steps and soon you’ll have an effective and inexpensive security system in place!
Gather Your Supplies
- Fishing line
- Popsicle stick
- 2×4 of wood (optional)
- Small bell
Build Your Alarm
- Cut fishing line to your desired length. If you’re protecting your home, run the fishing line around the perimeter of your property.
- Tie one end of the string to a Popsicle stick and use glue to attach it securely. Make sure the glue dries completely.
- Attach the bell to the other end of the fishing line.
- Secure the bell with glue or, for a stronger connection, tie the bell to the string with a strong knot or with pliers.
- (Optional) If you’re securing a large area, consider adding a 2×4 of wood to your structure. You can cut the wood to any desired length, then tie it to the Popsicle stick as an extra support. Make sure to glue the Popsicle stick to the wood.
Set Up Your Alarm
- Secure the Popsicle stick-bell assembly around the perimeter of your camp or home. Make sure the bell is well-attached.
- Make sure finishing line is taut and won’t move or sway.
- Test the alarm to make sure it works and that the bell will go off when the line is disturbed.
Maintain Your Alarm
Once you have your DIY perimeter alarm set up, be sure to regularly check and maintain it to ensure it’s working properly. Check the fishing line for any wear and tear and make sure to replace it if needed. Replace the bell if it stops ringing properly. Also, keep the Popsicle stick away from wet weather or animals, as it could cause the alarm to break.
Enjoy Protected Home & Camp!
With this simple, DIY alarm system in place, your property is sure to stay secure! A perimeter alarm is a great way to keep out unwanted guests whether you’re at home or out camping. Have fun and stay safe!