Best Mosquito Trap for Indoor & Outdoor Review and Buying Guide
The summer months offer longer days of sunshine and fun outdoors, but they can also bring pesky mosquitoes. A mosquito trap is one of the best ways to keep these bugs away. Mosquito traps use attractive scents, light, and carbon dioxide to attract mosquitoes and then trap them in the device. With so many traps on the market, it can be hard to figure out which one is right for you. This buying guide will help you narrow down your choices when selecting the best mosquito trap to protect your home or yard.
Types of Mosquito Traps
Mosquito traps come in a variety of styles and types. Each has its own pros and cons and some are designed specifically for indoor or outdoor use. Here are the types of mosquito traps you should consider when shopping for one.
- Zappers: Zappers use ultraviolet light and an electric current to attract and kill mosquitoes. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to use, but they can be loud and can be hazardous for children and pets to be around.
- Traps: Traps use carbon dioxide and an attractant such as octenol or lactic acid to attract and capture mosquitoes. They are more effective than zappers and safer to use, but they require a bit more maintenance as the attractant needs to be replaced more often.
- Repellents: Repellents are chemical substances that emit a scent that repels mosquitoes. They are easier to use than traps but, depending on the concentration of chemicals used, can be harmful to humans and pets.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Mosquito Trap
When looking for a mosquito trap, there are a few factors you should consider. Here are some of the most important things to look for.
- Size: The size of the trap you need depends on the size of the area you are trying to cover. Larger units can cover wider areas but may be more expensive. It’s important to think about the area you need to cover before selecting a trap.
- Cost: Mosquito traps can range in price from a few dollars up to several hundred. Decide on how much you can realistically spend on a trap and then look for the best value for that price range.
- Indoor vs. Outdoor: Some mosquito traps are designed specifically for indoor or outdoor use. Make sure you buy the right one for your needs.
- Range and Coverage: Some traps can cover up to an acre or more, while others are limited to a smaller area. Consider your needs when selecting a trap.
- Maintenance: Some traps require more maintenance than others. Traps that use attractants like lactic acid or octenol will need to have the attractant refilled more frequently than ones that use a long-lasting electric charge.
Our Top Picks for the Best Mosquito Traps
Now that you know what to look for, here are our top picks for the best mosquito traps. These traps are our favorite for indoor and outdoor use.
Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
The Flowtron BK-15D is a zapper-style mosquito trap designed for outdoor use. It uses ultraviolet light and an electric current to attract and kill mosquitoes. It can cover up to 1.5 acres and is perfect for large yards. The outer casing is weatherproof, making it a great choice for all seasons.
Victor M380 No-Mess Mosquito Magnet
The Victor M380 is a trap that uses carbon dioxide and octenol to attract and capture mosquitoes. It has a 100-foot range and can effectively cover up to an acre of land. The easy-to-clean trap requires less maintenance than some other traps. It is great for outdoor use but is also effective indoors.
Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repellent
The Thermacell Patio Shield is a repellent that uses essential oils to repel mosquitoes. It is easy to use and is effective up to 15 feet away. It is great for both indoor and outdoor use and can be used on patios, decks, and porches.
Mosquito traps can be an effective way to protect your home or outdoor space from pesky mosquitoes. They come in a variety of types and sizes, so be sure to consider your needs before selecting one. With this buying guide, finding the best mosquito trap for you will be a breeze.