Best Mosquito Trap for Indoor & Outdoor Review and Buying Guide
Mosquito infestations are a common problem for homeowners and those looking for an effective mosquito trap need to consider both indoor and outdoor options. With the wide range of mosquito trap models available, this buying guide will provide an overview of both indoor and outdoor mosquito traps and highlight the features of some of the popular models on the market.
Indoor Mosquito Traps
Indoor mosquito traps use an attractant such as light or carbon dioxide to lure mosquitoes into the trap. The most effective traps use light and an octenol-based bait to draw in the mosquitos. The light attracts them and the bait lures them closer to the trap where a fan creates a vacuum that sucks them in. Indoor traps should be placed in areas near the window where light is plentiful and where the fan can suck in mosquitoes from outside. Some of the most popular models of indoor mosquito traps include:
- Aspectek 20W Electronic Insect Killer: This indoor trap is designed to cover a large area of up to 6,000 square feet and has a powerful 20 watt bulb that emits both UV light and octenol bait to attract mosquitoes. It also features an optional octenol cartridge for extra effectiveness.
- mosquito Magnet Defender: This mosquito trap covers up to 1 acre of land and uses a powerful fan and CO2 system to attract and capture mosquitoes. It also includes an optional octenol cartridge for added effectiveness.
- Flowtron BK-40D: This indoor trap is designed to cover up to ½ acre of land and features both UV lights and an octenol bait to attract mosquitoes. It also comes with a replaceable cartridge for easy maintenance.
Outdoor Mosquito Traps
Outdoor mosquito traps are designed to attract and capture large numbers of mosquitoes from outside the home. These traps usually use propane or charcoal to create a negative pressure in the trap which draws mosquitoes into the trap and prevents them from escaping. Some of the most popular models of outdoor mosquito traps include:
- Mosquito Magnet MM4200: This outdoor trap uses a powerful propane-powered attractant to lure mosquitoes and a fan to capture them. It covers up to ½ acre and also includes an optional octenol cartridge for increased effectiveness.
- DynaTrap DT1050-K: This outdoor trap features both UV light and a carbon dioxide-emitting canister to attract mosquitoes. It also includes an optional octenol cartridge for added effectiveness and covers up to ½ acre of land.
- Repel 3050-D: This outdoor trap uses a powerful fan to capture mosquitoes and also includes an optional octenol cartridge. It covers up to ¼ acre of land and is designed to run on propane fuel for maximum efficiency.
The best mosquito trap for indoor and outdoor use will depend on the size of the area needing protection and the individuals budget. Traps that use octenol bait are generally more effective, but the added expense should be taken into account when purchasing a trap. Traps should be placed in areas where they are easily accessible for refilling and cleaning, and the cartridges should be replaced regularly to ensure that they remain effective.