Best Mosquito Trap for Indoor & Outdoor Review and Buying Guide
Mosquitoes have long been the bane of outdoor spaces, frustrating campers, picnickers, and outdoor workers alike. Old-fashioned home remedies such as traditional bug sprays, herbal mosquito repellents, citronella candles, and even wearing bright clothes barely make a dent in controlling these pests.
The good news is that with modern technology, several different types of mosquito traps have been created to help combat these irritating bugs once and for all. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the best mosquito traps both for indoor and outdoor use, what features to consider before purchasing one, and provide a few buying tips to make your decision easier.
Types of Mosquito Traps
The most common types of mosquito traps include:
- Mosquito Zappers: These are battery-operated or plugged-in devices that emit ultraviolet or an electrical current to attract mosquitoes. When the insects come near the device, it electrocutes them.
- Mosquito Magnets: These are large, stationary contraptions that use a combination of attractive scents, carbon dioxide, and warm temperatures to draw mosquitoes nearer. Once close enough, the powerful vacuum fan sucks the mosquitoes into a netted container where they die.
- Indoor Traps: These are usually small quiet units designed to attract and catch mosquitoes without bothering humans or pets. They utilize a combination of UV rays and attractants such as scents and carbon dioxide to lure the pests close before trapping them in a netted bag.
- Outdoor Traps: These are more powerful, larger-sized traps designed to keep mosquitoes away from larger outdoor spaces. They are usually powered by electricity and use an attractant such as carbon dioxide, propane, and other scents as bait.
Things to Consider When Buying a Mosquito Trap
Before you decide on which type of mosquito trap to purchase for your home, there are some key features to consider:
- Coverage: Different traps come with varying coverage areas, so it’s important to select one with the right size for the area you’re looking to treat.
- Noise: For indoor uses, it may be important to select a trap with a low noise level due to young children or sensitive pets.
- Sensitivity: Some traps are more sensitive than others, so you may want to consider one with a higher level of sensitivity if you’re dealing with a large number of mosquitoes.
- Cost: Many traps come with a variety of features and corresponding price points. Consider the features you need and choose a device in your price range.
Best Mosquito Traps for Indoor & Outdoor Use
Below are some of the best mosquito traps you can purchase for both indoor and outdoor use:
- Flowtron BK-80D Electronic Mosquito Killer: This indoor device is perfect for a bedroom or living area up to 400-800 square feet. It attracts and electrocutes mosquitoes, using a powerful UV bulb and octenol attractant without the use of any sprays or chemicals. It’s also silent and easy to maintain.
- AB Prince MegaCatch Pro 900 Premier: This indoor mosquito trap is designed for larger indoor spaces of up to 2 acres. It features patented SmartVent Technology which intelligently directs airflow, a 4-stage air filtration system, an inverted-V fan impeller, and an adjustable carbon dioxide generator that can be turned off during the day to prevent nuisance trapping of beneficial insects.
- Mosquito Magnet X-10B Mosquito Trap: This outdoor trap covers up to an acre and utilizes a combination of heat, carbon dioxide, and octenol to draw mosquitoes close before trapping them with its powerful vacuum fan. It also features a digital timer for automatic operation and is effective for up to four weeks between baiting and cleaning.
- Flowtron BK-80D Electronic Mosquito Killer: This powerful outdoor trap covers 1 acre and features a bright and effective blue light that is more attractive to mosquitoes than incandescent bulbs. It also utilizes an octenol attractant and is proven to reduce mosquito populations by 90%.
Before buying a mosquito trap, here are a few tips to help you make the best decision:
- Measure the area you need to treat and choose a trap with the correct coverage for the space.
- Check for noise levels and adjust your purchase accordingly.
- Look for traps with adjustable features, like a carbon dioxide generator or adjustable fan speed, to get the most bang for your buck.
- Read reviews for each model, as this will give you a better idea of the performance of the device.
- Purchase non-toxic and organic traps whenever possible.
Mosquito traps are an excellent way to rid yourself of these pesky pests. By keeping in mind the types of traps available and the features to look out for prior to purchasing, you can easily find the right device to suit your needs. With the right trap, you can finally reclaim your outdoor or indoor spaces so you can once again enjoy the outdoors without having to contend with the aggravation of mosquitoes.