Best Mosquito Trap for Indoor & Outdoor Review and Buying Guide
Summer is finally here, and with it comes warm days, cool nights and, unfortunately, mosquitoes. Whether your backyard barbecue is your favorite part of the summer or you’re a big fan of outdoor camping, you won’t be able to get the full experience without dealing with pests. One of the best ways to keep them at bay is to invest in a good mosquito trap.
Mosquito traps come in a variety of shapes, sizes and types. Some are designed to be used indoors while others are made for outdoor use. In any case, they all offer an effective way to get rid of mosquitoes in your space. The key to finding the best mosquito trap for your needs is to understand what types of traps are available and how they work. The following review will help guide you in your purchase and make sure you get the best value for your money.
Types of Mosquito Traps
There are two main types of mosquito traps, passive and active. Passive traps rely on artificial light to attract and trap mosquitoes, while active traps use a combination of carbon dioxide and other elements to lure the pests in. Both types of traps can be used for both indoor and outdoor spaces. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each:
- Passive Traps – Pros: easy to use, cheap, no electricity or disposable parts needed; Cons: require a light source, can sometimes attract more pests than you want.
- Active Traps – Pros: attract only mosquitoes, requires no light source; Cons: require electricity, can be expensive.
Features to Look For in a Mosquito Trap
Once you’ve decided on the type of trap you want, it’s time to look at the features you should consider. Here are some important features to keep in mind when shopping for a trap:
- Size and Capacity: Look for traps that are the right size for your space, and ones that can handle a large number of mosquitoes.
- Noise Level: Some traps are very loud, so it’s best to go with models that are as quiet as possible.
- Coverage Area: The more coverage area a trap has, the better it will be at keeping your area clear of mosquitoes.
- Price: Look for traps that provide the most features for the most reasonable price.
- Easy Maintenance: Some traps require frequent maintenance and cleaning, while others are more self-sustaining.
Our Top Picks for Mosquito Traps
Now that you know what to look for in a mosquito trap, here are our top picks for both indoor and outdoor use:
- Flowtron BK-15D: This electric insect killer is designed for indoor use and features a rechargeable battery. It emits light to attract mosquitoes and other bugs, with a coverage area of up to 5,000 square feet.
- Victor M380: This mosquito trap works with a combination of UV-A light, and attractants, to draw in mosquitoes and trap them with an electrified grid. It has a coverage area of one acre and is ideal for both residential and commercial use.
- ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent: This lightweight brace-on mosquito repellent operates on a butane cartridge and releases allethrin, a synthetic version of a natural insect repellent. It has an adjustable coverage range of up to 15 by 15 feet and can be used in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- Flowtron BK-80D: This electric insect killer is designed for outdoor use and features a rechargeable battery. It emits light to attract mosquitoes and other bugs up to an acre in diameter. It is also weatherproof, so it can withstand rain and other elements.
Mosquito traps can be an effective way to keep your outdoor and indoor spaces free of pesky pests. There are many types of traps available, so it’s important to do your research and pick the one that is right for your needs. We hope this review has provided you with the information you need to make an informed decision on your purchase.