Best Hand-Crank Generator Review and Buying Guide
If you are looking for an economical and convenient source of electricity without relying on the grid, a hand-crank generator is an ideal choice. Hand crank generators provide a simple, clean and cost-effective solution for those looking to generate electricity on their own. This buying guide will provide you with tips on buying a hand-crank generator, a few suggestions for the different types available, and a few reviews of some of the top models on the market.
What to Look for When Buying a Hand-Crank Generator
Before purchasing a hand-crank generator, it’s important to consider a few key points:
- Power Output: The amount of power the generator can provide will depend on the size and type of generator. For most purposes, the smaller, lighter models are sufficient, but if you are expecting to power anything more than the basic needs of a household, you may need to invest in a more powerful model.
- Battery Capacity: Hand-Crank Generators can be equipped with either built-in rechargeable batteries or standard AA batteries. The type of battery you choose will largely depend on your power needs. The standard AA batteries will provide the most power, but they will need to be replaced more frequently than rechargeable batteries.
- Size and Weight: Hand-Crank Generators come in a variety of sizes and weights. Smaller, lighter models tend to be more convenient for portability, but larger models may be necessary for more powerful applications.
Types of Hand-Crank Generators
- Hand Crank Generator with Rechargeable Battery: These generators use a rechargeable battery that is powered by the hand crank. This is the most common type of hand-crank generator, as it is portable and can provide enough power for most common needs.
- Gear-driven Dynamo Hand Crank Generator: This type of generator uses a gear system to increase the amount of power generated. They tend to be more powerful than hand-crank generators that use rechargeable batteries, but they are also much heavier and more expensive.
- Solar-Powered Hand Crank Generator: These generators use a solar panel to capture energy from the sun, which is then converted into electrical power by the hand-crank. They can be used in areas without access to electricity and are very energy efficient, but they tend to be expensive and require an adequate amount of sunlight to function.
Reviews of the Best Hand-Crank Generators
1. Goal Zero Yeti 400 Portable Power Station
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 Portable Power Station is one of the most popular hand-crank generators on the market. It runs on a rechargeable lithium battery and can provide up to 400 watts of power. It also has USB, AC, and DC ports, as well as an LED display to monitor power levels. The Yeti 400 is large and heavy, but it is capable of powering refrigerators, small appliances, and other large devices.
2. Power-All Hand Crank Generator
The Power – All Hand Crank Generator is a great option for those looking for a smaller, lighter model. It is powered by two standard AA batteries, but it can also be used with rechargeable batteries. It is capable of providing up to 300 watts of power and has two 12V DC and two 120V AC outlets for charging devices. The compact design makes it perfect for camping and other outdoor activities.
3. Windmill 2000e Hand Crank Generator
The Windmill 2000e Hand Crank Generator is a great choice for those looking for a high-powered model. It is powered by two AAA batteries and can provide up to 2000 watts of electricity. It has six outlets, including USB and AC ports, as well as a built-in flashlight. The Windmill 2000e is capable of powering refrigerators, blenders, and most other large appliances.
Hand-crank generators are a great way to provide clean, renewable energy without relying on the grid. They are easy to use, lightweight, and can provide enough power to cover the basic needs of a household. This buying guide provides you with an overview of the different types of hand-crank generators, as well as reviews of some of the best models available on the market. No matter what your power needs are, there is a hand-crank generator out there that can suit your needs.