Best Extension Cord Review and Buying Guide
Extension cords are essential for everyone but not all are the same. If you’re planning on using one for a specific purpose – like a high-power tool or appliance – then you should know an extension cord’s amperage rating, how far it can be safely extended, and the type of environment it needs to be used in.
In this extension cord review and buying guide, we’ll go over the basics and provide you with some key tips to ensure you purchase the right one for your needs.
Important Extension Cord Features
There are several features to consider when choosing an extension cord. The chart below gives an overview of some of the most important ones:
|Voltage||The voltage rating is how many volts the cord can safely handle. Lower ratings are usually intended for indoor use and higher ratings are usually intended for outdoor use.|
|Amperage||This specifies how much current the cord can safely handle. A higher rating is generally preferred for heavy-duty applications.|
|Length||This tells you how far you can safely extend the cord. Make sure you don’t exceed the maximum length.|
|Durability||Look for cords made of heavy-duty materials, such as reinforced rubber, PVC, or vinyl. These are more resistant to tearing and other damage.|
|Gauge||This specifies the diameter of the cord’s wire. Lower gauges are thicker and provide more power. Thicker wires are also less prone to overheating.|
Tips for Choosing the Right Extension Cord
Now that you know the features to consider, here are some tips to help you choose the right extension cord for your project:
- Check the amperage rating: The higher the amperage rating, the more power the cord can safely handle.
- Check the length: Make sure the cord you choose is long enough for your needs. The length should be printed on the cord itself.
- Choose the right gauge: For heavy-duty applications, a lower gauge (heavier) cord is usually preferred.
- Check for outdoor use: Look for cords that are specifically designed for outdoor use. These usually have higher amperage and voltage ratings.
- Pay attention to the features: Make sure the cord you choose has the features you need. For example, some cords have multiple outlets to power multiple devices.
An extension cord is an essential tool for anyone involved in any kind of electrical work. Make sure you choose the right one for your needs by keeping the important features in mind and following the tips outlined in this guide. You’ll be sure to find the best extension cord for your project.