Best Bushcraft Axe Review and Buying Guide
When it comes to outdoor activities, you most likely need an excellent tool to help you with the woods. Bushcraft axes are amongst the most useful tools in the market that can help you prepare camping firewood or hone timber for any project. But choosing the best bushcraft axe can be quite overwhelming; if you are looking for a resource to assist you with your purchase, here is the best bushcraft axe review and buying guide.
What Is a Bushcraft Axe and What Are Its Uses?
A bushcraft axe is a frequently used tool in the outdoor environment. The basic components of a bushcraft axe involve a steel head, a handle, and a cutting edge. It is larger than a hatchet, and this weight makes it easier to cut wood.
Bushcraft axes have a range of uses, including cutting and splitting wood, crafting items from wood, and harvesting timber. The longer handle offers greater leverage while you swing the axe, which makes it a perfect tool for larger projects.
Things to Consider When Buying a Bushcraft Axe
When buying a bushcraft axe, there are some important factors to consider. Here are some of the most important aspects you need to take into account.
- Head Material & Construction: The quality of the head is the most important factor when buying a bushcraft axe. The ideal material is forge or drop-forged steel. This kind of steel is designed for better durability, and it will also be better at holding an edge.
- Handle Material: The handle material should also be taken into consideration. Handles may be made from a variety of materials, such as wood, plastic, composite lumber, or even fiberglass. Those with skill may even choose to make their own handles. The handle should be sturdy enough to withstand hard blows and have a comfortable grip, but it should also be lightweight to make it easier to use.
- Blade Edge: The kind of edge the axe contains will affect its performance. The most common edges are straight-grained, wide-beveled, and debarking. You need to choose the one that fits your needs best.
- Weight: Weight plays a major role in the effectiveness of the axe. The heavier the axe, the more power it can deliver. However, it should still be lightweight enough to handle with ease.
The Best Bushcraft Axes of 2020
Now that you know what to look for when buying a bushcraft axe, here are some of the best choices for the year 2020.
- Gränsfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet: This is probably the best bushcraft axe in the market. The Swedish steel head with a width of 70 mm is designed with great strength and sharpness. Its genuine hickory handle makes it ideal for outdoor use. It also comes with a leather sheath for better protection.
- Estwing Sportsman’s 20 oz. Axe: This is a lightweight yet durable axe with a 20-ounce head. It is great for chopping smaller pieces of wood, and working with bigger logs. Its bright blue steel head offers great durability, and the leather sheath keeps the axe safe from damage.
- Husqvarna 576926501 K 30: This axe is perfect for larger projects. Its carbon steel head is designed to act as a wedge as well as an axe. With its lightweight construction and well-crafted handle, it is perfect for extended use.
- Fiskars X7 Hatchet: The X7 hatchet is a great tool for lightweight chopping tasks. It is lightweight and the handle is textured to offer the user a firm grip. It features a low-friction coated blade that this designed to stay sharp longer and slice through material with ease.
- Helko Werk Saxon German Axe: This affordable yet high-quality axe is the perfect choice for beginner’s on a budget. Its curved handle provides the user with excellent control over the axe, while the steel head provides high-level chopping power.
We have covered the top five best bushcraft axes for 2020. Depending on your preferences and budget, any one of these products will serve you well. Just remember to consider the factors discussed above when making your purchase.