Best Bungee Cords Review and Buying Guide
When it comes to getting stuff done, nothing beats having the right tools for the job. Bungee cords are one of those versatile tools that can make many different tasks easier. They are perfect for tying things down, holding objects in place, and more.
But which cords are the best to shop for? With so many different products on the market, it can be tricky knowing which one is the right choice for you. To help you make the best decision, we’ve put together this review and buying guide.
Different Types of Bungee Cords
Before you start shopping for bungee cords, you’ll want to know the difference between the various types available. Here are the four main types of cords that you’ll find:
- Standard Bungee Cord: These cords are made of rubber and come in various lengths, usually six feet or longer. They are usually used for lighter items, like transporting kayaks or tie-downs.
- Shock Cord: Shock cords are reinforced bungee cords with a stretchy rubber core. They are designed to take more weight, making them ideal for heavier items, like securing a car roof rack.
- PVC Coated Bungee Cord: PVC coating offers extra protection against abrasion and weathering, making it a good choice for outdoor activities. PVC coated cords are also more resistant to UV light, which makes them a great choice for marine use.
- Elastic Tie-Down Straps: Elastic tie-down straps are a type of bungee cord that can be stretched, stretched and stretched some more. They are great for super tight tie-downs, like securing a surfboard or a kayak.
What to Look For When Buying Bungee Cords
Once you’ve decided which type of bungee cord is right for you, there are still a few factors to consider while shopping. Here are a few boxes to tick when you’re picking out the perfect cord:
- Length: When selecting a bungee cord, the length is an important factor. To get the right size for the job, measure the distance between the two points that you need to secure. Aim for a cord that’s about four times longer than the distance you’re tying.
- Thickness: Bungee cords come in a variety of thicknesses, and the thicker the cord, the more weight it can safely support. Be sure to check the breaking strength rating for the cord you’re buying—this will tell you how much weight it can support.
- Storage: Think about where you’ll be storing your cords when you’re not using them. Some bungee cords come with storage cases or packages, while others come with simple hooks or clips that can be used to hang them up.
- Price: Finally, consider how much you’re willing to spend. Bungee cords come in a range of prices, so it’s important to shop around to find the right product for you.
Cords might seem like a small purchase, but having the right product can make a big difference in how secure and reliable your tie-downs are. With this review and buying guide, you should now have all the information you need to make an informed decision about which bungee cord is right for your job.