AR15 Tools: Complete AR15 Assembly
For anyone looking to put together their own AR-15, the most important item they need to have is the right tools. With the right tools, the assembly process becomes much smoother and less time-consuming.
Tools You Need
You should have at least the basic tools on hand when assembling your AR-15. These include: a hammer, a pin or punch set, needle-nose pliers, a vise, a Torx head screwdriver set, a flat head screwdriver set, and a hex or Allen wrench set.
1. Start off by prepping the lower receiver. Using the pin punches, make sure the holes for the safety selector and the pins that hold the upper and lower receiver together are line up correctly.
2. Install the bolt catch and buffer springs. They should be inserted into the unit and held in place with a roll pin.
3. Install the trigger and springs. Make sure they’re secured to the lower receiver with a small roll pin.
4. Install the safety selector switch. This is done the same way as the trigger and the springs.
5. Install the trigger guard and screws. This is done with a flat head screwdriver.
6. Install the front takedown pin and detent. This is done by inserting the pin into the lower receiver and locking it into place using a Torx head screwdriver.
7. Install the charging handle and bolt carrier assembly. Make sure you lubricate the parts before putting them together. Using a hex or Allen wrench, attach the oversized handle to the charging handle.
8. Install the magazine release, the trigger pins, and the front and rear take-down pins.
9. Finally, install the upper receiver. Secure this to the lower receiver with two roll pins.
Assembling your own AR-15 not only gives you the satisfaction of creating something with your own two hands, but it can also save you quite a bit of money in the long run. By having the right tools and following the steps above, you can have a fully-functional AR-15 in no time.