Best Mosquito Trap for Indoor & Outdoor Review and Buying Guide
Mosquito season can be a nuisance, but there is a great solution to keep those little pests away: mosquito traps. Set up a trap in an indoor or outdoor area, and you can protect your family from annoying mosquito bites and the diseases they might spread. With so many brands and models, choosing the right mosquito trap can be daunting- we’ve created this guide to help you find the best one for your needs.
Types of Mosquito Traps
There are two main types of mosquito traps: indoor and outdoor. Indoor traps are set up inside the house, usually in the kitchen or laundry room. These traps use a fan or vacuum to collect mosquitoes, as well as sticky pads or other attractants to lure them in. Most indoor traps are powered by electricity, but some models are battery operated.
Outdoor traps, on the other hand, are designed for use in your backyard or garden. They typically don’t use fans or vacuums, but instead rely on a special attractant such as carbon dioxide or a specific wavelength of light to lure mosquitoes in. Once in range, the trap captures and retains the bugs until they can be disposed of. Outdoor traps are usually powered by standard outlets or batteries.
Features to Look for in a Mosquito Trap
When choosing a mosquito trap, there are several important features to consider.
- Coverage Area – How big of an area does the trap cover? If you have a large backyard, you’ll need a trap that can cover a wide range.
- Noise Level – If you’re setting up your trap indoors, you’ll want to make sure it doesn’t produce too much noise. For outdoor traps, noise isn’t usually an issue.
- Durability – Look for a trap constructed of sturdy material that can withstand the elements.
- Ease of Use – Make sure the trap you choose is easy to set up and maintain.
- Cost – What’s your budget? Read reviews to see if the trap you’re interested in is worth the price.
Top 5 Mosquito Traps
After considering your needs and budget, it’s time to choose a mosquito trap. Here are our top 5 recommended models:
- DynaTrap Flying Insect Trap
- This outdoor trap from DynaTrap is a great option for large areas- it has a ½ acre coverage area and is equipped with a customizable array of UV lightbulbs to lure insects in.
- Hoont Indoor Plug-In Electric Trap
- The Hoont Indoor Plug-In Trap is perfect for keeping mosquitoes out of the house. It’s quiet and uses a fan to collect bugs, plus attractants and UV bulbs to lure them in.
- Flowtron BK-15D Outdoor Insect Killer
- For those on a budget, the Flowtron BK-15D is an excellent choice. It has a 0.5 acre coverage area and uses a high-frequency UV light to kill pests.
- Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repeller
- This portable and cordless repeller from Thermacell is great for patios and other outdoor areas. It’s silent and uses a synthetic attractant to ward off mosquitoes.
- Victor M530 Ultimate Flying Insect Trap
- If you’re looking for a more stylish trap, the Victor M530 is a great choice. It’s easy to use and uses UV lighting and an attractant to draw bugs in.
By taking into account the type of mosquito trap, features, and reviews, you’ll be able to find the perfect one for your needs. We’ve reviewed our top five picks above, but don’t forget to do your own research before making a purchase.