Best Mosquito Trap for Indoor & Outdoor Review and Buying Guide
Mosquitoes aren’t just annoying: they can also spread serious illnesses. To keep your family and guests safe, what do you need to look for while choosing the best mosquito trap for your needs? This guide will help you understand what makes a good mosquito trap, so you can make an informed decision when purchasing a new one.
Things to Consider When Buying a Mosquito Trap
- Price: Mosquito traps range in price from about $50 up to nearly $200. You’ll want to choose something that is cost-effective for your budget.
- Coverage: Make sure the mosquito trap you choose is capable of covering the space you need it to. Most traps work best indoors and cover an area of about 400 square feet. Outdoor traps typically require larger coverage areas, up to an acre.
- Placement: Each mosquito trap has a specific placement that will work best for its effectiveness. Make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions for proper placement.
- Power: Many mosquito traps require an electrical outlet, while others use batteries or battery-backup to power them. Choose the one that best meets your needs.
Top 5 Mosquito Traps
- Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
- SkeeterVac SV3100 Mosquito Trap
- Dynatrap DT1050 Insect Trap
- KATCHY Indoor Insect & Flying Bug Trap
- Mosquito Magnet MM4200-X Executive Mosquito Trap
These are some of the top options available in mosquito traps. Keep reading for a more detailed review of each.
1. Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
The Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer is a great option for both indoor and outdoor use. The unit features a 15-watt bulb to attract mosquitoes and other flying bugs, and a large collection tray to collect them. It’s easy to use, with no setup required other than plugging it in. The unit is effective up to 1/2 acre. It’s also affordable for most budgets, clocking in at around $50.
2. SkeeterVac SV3100 Mosquito Trap
If money isn’t an issue, the SkeeterVac SV3100 Mosquito Trap is one of the most effective traps on the market. It has a high-power suction fan to attract mosquito and other insects into the collection tray. The unit is effective up to 1 acre and costs around $180. However, you will need to connect it to your home’s external power source to use it.
3. Dynatrap DT1050 Insect Trap
The Dynatrap DT1050 Insect Trap is a plug-in unit that uses a combination of UV light and carbon dioxide to lure in mosquitoes and other flying insects. It’s perfect for indoor use, effectively covering up to 300 square feet. The unit is easy to use and relatively inexpensive at around $60.
4. KATCHY Indoor Insect & Flying Bug Trap
The KATCHY Indoor Insect & Flying Bug Trap is a great option for use indoors. It features an ultraviolet lamp and a strong fan to trap flying insects into the collection tray below. It covers up to 600 square feet and is relatively inexpensive, at around $40.
5. Mosquito Magnet MM4200-X Executive Mosquito Trap
For outdoor use, the Mosquito Magnet MM4200-X Executive Mosquito Trap is among the best. It’s a larger and more powerful unit that uses a combination of CO2, heat, light, and scent to attract and trap mosquitoes in its collection tray. It’s expensive – around $200 – but it covers up to 1 acre and is highly effective.
This buying guide should help you understand the features to consider when choosing a mosquito trap. Now that you know what to look for, it should be easy for you to pick out the perfect mosquito trap for your needs. Keep in mind, however, that outdoor traps typically require larger coverage areas and may be more expensive than indoor traps.